Thursday, April 29, 2021

Diabetes+


If you're a frequent user of social media platforms, and your use of such platforms is based around Diabetes, then you're probably well versed in the terminology and acronyms which surround our condition.

It can be a confusing place for the newbie. There are docs everywhere but they're not medically qualified. T1D, T2D, LADA, MDI, BG, TBR, TIR, HbA1c... Diaversery, Diabuddy, Diabestie... My own accounts are littered with a bewildering array of references to Banting Juice and feeling Hypo Twatted and all under the influence of caffeine.

I love it all. If you can't work out these little sayings and acronyms then it's perfectly fine to ask. Put a hashtag at the front of those words and you might get a bigger audience. Twitter, my favourite platform, has a character limit so it makes sense to use such acronyms when tweeting. So far, I've resisted the urge to use BJ when discussing Banting Juice (insulin). There are puerile minds on the Internet. Not mine, obvs!

That brings me along to Diabetes+ It's not a term that I've used before but it's one that springs to my mind when I notice others discussing a positive (+) aspect of life in relation to their Diabetes. How can there be a positive to Diabetes!? You exclaim, finger hovering over the 'Unfollow Diabetic Dad' button. Positives aren't to be found within having the condition, at least not that I've found, but within the new experiences and relationships that the condition allows.

You don't need to look far for a new positive from Diabetes. It could be that your management of the condition is improved because of simply reading the social media messages of others, absorbing information and keeping up to date with the latest happenings on Planet D. That alone is a superb thing. If that's your Diabetes+ then I'm really pleased for you. My personal Diabetes+ goes much, much further.

Reading and engaging with peers has been a huge positive for me, too. Beyond that I've discovered, to my surprise, that I quite like people and meeting them, getting to know them and in some cases becoming good friends with them. It's always good to have something in common, right? misery loves company or something. I'm kidding! I've never had a miserable experience when meeting a fellow diabetic or a person who works within Diabetes, business or healthcare. I've never experienced this before. At various points in my life, I've met with many people on a social level; Work colleagues, friends dating back to school days, football friends, poker player friends, the list is long and within each "category" there were a good number of people who left me feeling negative about my encounters with them. Personalities and opinions do clash, of course but it appears to happen to a much lesser extent within the peer support and friendship circles of Diabetes. I wonder if that's because we have an understanding of the struggle which we might not with the organic insulin growers of the world?

Prior to fully engaging with my Diabetes, I was somewhat of a recluse. I certainly had and still have, to a lesser degree now, social anxiety. That lesser degree has reduced massively and continues to do so following each "meet up" or conference. It's like being fed a little more confidence each time.

I know, I talk about Diabetes a lot. I do that YouTube thing, I'm all up in your grill about Diabetes whenever you try to get a minutes peace on Twitter, I've written things (you're reading one now) I've been on the radio and I've many irons in many fires. That doesn't mean that social anxiety, in the flesh, isn't a very real thing. 

Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, my confidence levels were very high when it came to meeting others. Now we've been locked away for more than a year, I would be a liar to suggest that I feel just as I did at the beginning of 2020. There has been a step back but I'm determined to rediscover that Diabetes+ again by meeting more people who have Diabetes, when it becomes safe to do so. And we're nearly there! I'm not far away from my second dose of the Covid vaccine and a few weeks after that? I'll be as protected as I can be from that bastard of a disease.

Baby steps, though. The plan is to meet a couple of other friends in a park, distance, drink coffee (tea if you prefer, Carolyn) and chat. As the UK opens up, I hope more occasions like that will happen and my Diabetes+ continues to grow for many years to come.

I hope this blog has been a tale of positivity. Do you have a Diabetes+ ? Go ahead and tell me about it in the comments box below or just send me a tweet.

Thank you so much for reading this blog. I do appreciate your visit and your support. As you might know, I LOVE COFFEE! So I've teamed up with a thing called Buy Me A Coffee. If you enjoy my content and appreciate the time it takes to create such things then you can buy me a coffee! If you leave your Twitter @ name when you buy me a coffee, I will personally thank you. If you'd rather be anonymous then that's totally cool. Thanks for the caffeine!



No comments:

Post a Comment