Friday, June 10, 2022

Some Time In The Sunshine

 


Here comes the sun, doodoo doodoo. In the mostly gloomy isles of the United Kingdom, the sun can be a rare sight - you've probably noticed, analytics tell me that 80% of you are from the UK. So, when it appears, it's understandable that many get a bit giddy about it... then a bit red and regretful. Remember your SPF50 especially you, my fellow sexy baldies.

The benefits of some sunshine are well documented, go ahead and Google it for all that research.

Why am I blathering on about the sun? Tell you about all the Twitter drama?! Where are the shallow graves?! Godammit get me The President! 

I know you've seen the tweet and it would be ridiculous of me to just ignore it and carry on regardless. So, a blog for a one time addressing of the issue and a bit more about the sunshine before my sunburned head gets too much and I change my mind.

I spelt out a few facts on Twitter, 3 or 4 days ago. What you've read there are "cliff notes" of what I have found to be a prolonged campaign of lies, accusations and a seemingly wilful ignorance of facts to cherry-pick things I have tweeted and touched upon in blogs. All of that through the very grown up method of sub-tweets and indirect references in a blog and who knows what else?! 

Alright, I'm an adult and I can handle the strange-strangers on the Internet. It's likely that most of you with a social media presence will have encountered a level of trolling and trash behaviour. The bigger your presence, the more gets thrown your way - them's the rules! All of that aside, what upset me the most, what really disturbed me was the stories from others. If I had hair, it would curl. In the interests of safety for my peers and to be respectful of their confiding in me, I am not going to document any of those incidents. There are lots and many pre-date my involvement in the #DOC and #GBDoc. None of those things are my business to pursue through complaints or authorities.

My business? Amid the screenshots and outrage from a mutual friend, an admission that I am/was being stalked. Although I am not directly mentioned, it seems clear that the date of the tweet coincides with something I said - If it wasn't me then know that you might be being stalked. Whatever, one of us is getting the stalky stalk treatment. Of course, I've kept that particular screenshot image which proudly states how friends are reading my published content to "report back" to the blocked account in question. Oh, I didn't mention that? Yes, blocked for 18 months following independent people making complaints about this individual over the year or so prior, to me. I already had them muted for that period and at no stage have I followed their Twitter account. A search showed some brief exchanges, several years ago - all seemed reasonable and polite. It appears this individual took my blocking poorly and so the accusations began. To the mutual, time to stop offering fuel to this unnecessary fire. I forgive you.

Trolling and "fly-by" abuse is one thing. I prefer that to the prolonged campaign from this individual - a campaign which has left me contemplating not only leaving Twitter but all diabetes social media. I rarely knee-jerk react to anything and some time away seemed like a good idea. I sought counsel from different orgs and friends with experience in harassment and the process of ending it. The support was tremendous and I now have avenues to consider, some of which might seem very dramatic. At this stage, with the dust settled, I am swayed towards doing the good things and putting my focus into positive activities around diabetes and in peer support. The prospect of the dramatic, potentially impacting very negatively on another person's livelihood and reputation doesn't hold great appeal especially as some time has passed and calm restored. And! Do you know what? despite it all, this person is a fellow T1D and if me not even trying is causing such stress and anger and paranoia then I think purposefully pushing could be disastrous. 

There it ends. And do please let it end, friends. Please do not start your own vendettas and make life difficult for anybody else. You're all better than that.

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

...today, I spent a few hours with my friend Carolyn to talk about some help I'm providing to her son, diabetes and the recent events. Talking is great therapy! and I'm grateful to have such amazing friends who have the calmest of minds. It was a beautiful day and the sunshine can bring a new perspective to life. My head looks like a blood orange but let's not get bogged down with who will be in agonising pain in bed tonight when I've topped up my Vitamin D and rediscovered some joy.

You read my last blog, didn't you? I pasted around 20 quotes from different people. That hasn't really touched the surface and in no way can I reply to everybody individually, I'm a slow typer! So, to you all:

I really appreciate your support and your concern has touched me beyond words. Thank you.

I'd like to highlight that many men offered me their time, probably with worries over my mental well being. Outstanding! I'm incredibly proud of you for doing that, fellas. It's that sort of reaching out which can stop harm and even save lives. Please don't stop doing that when you're able. There was little to no danger of me doing anything but that might not always be the case for me or others. Ladies, I appreciate you reaching out, of course. You've been incredibly kind. I am blessed with the strongest friendships and. sometimes, it feels like an army of Banting Juice Botherers has got my back...

...that is what you prefer to be called, isn't it? See you on Twitter, Drama Llamas!

As you might have seen, a conflict has broken out in Ukraine as Russia has invaded that country. The scenes on TV and on social media are horrifying. What can we do? Well, I don't think there is a wrong way to help if you donate to charities who are active in helping the people of Ukraine. I support many charities but one which has always had my heart is MSF. Medecins Sans Frontieres translates as Doctors Without Borders. When it comes to the health of others in disaster areas, war zones and the like then I think we all have a duty to do what we can to help and help those who directly help! such as MSF. With that in mind, all donations to me via Buy Me a Coffee and all the pennies generated through the ads dotted around my pages will be donated to MSF. I will make up the difference for the fees taken by PayPal and Buy Me a Coffee. That will run until further notice, no time frames and possibly until Ukraine is a free country again. Thank you for reading my blog. 

BUY DIABETIC DAD (MSF) A COFFEE HERE

Prefer PayPal?

BUY DIABETIC DAD (MSF) A COFFEE THROUGH PAYPAL 

No comments:

Post a Comment