Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Diabetic Superstar


 There are two words in the title of this blog. I'm fine with one, less fine with the other.

"Oh, no! He's going to talk about language matters!"

Maaaaaaybe. Let's see.

Of course, I'm fine with "Diabetic" and always have been. It's a part of my social media username and it's written in the tattoo on my arm. You might say that I'm relaxed about being referred to as a Diabetic. I know some are not and that's equally fine with me. 

My grumble comes over the word "Superstar". It's not only Superstar, it might be "Up and coming rising star" or perhaps "Shining star". Stars get a lot of copy when it comes to exaggerated expressions of praise, don't you think? And praise is good! Praise is right. Praise works. Individuals who do great things undoubtedly deserve praise.

Where the line is between expressing thanks & offering praise and creating a celebrity is what worries me. Celebrity offers many trappings which are hard to resist. I won't use my blog to name-drop but, in a previous life, I've known a few good people, friendly people to become wealthy and famous and subsequently become a very different person. That's a shame but I understand how the voice of an ego can change a person.

So, you're wondering how that might be related to diabetes and who I'm talking about! Firstly, I'm not interested in cryptic messages, subtweets or carry overs from the schoolyard. That's not my domain. I'm blunt and direct much to my cost, at times. I'm not referring to specific individuals here. I'm referring to what appears to be a growing trend of using such superlatives, particularly when aimed towards advocates in the diabetes community.

I've seen such terms directed towards HCPs on Twitter. They deflect it superbly! Often responding with "I'm just doing my job" or similar yet the majority know that's not true and many HCPs go above and beyond the calling of their salaries. They deserve praise but I suspect/hope they'll agree, they're not celebrities and feel uncomfortable to be slapped with the "star" label.

Advocates seem less worried and that worries me.

I think it's impossible for any advocate to truly represent the best wishes of such a huge number of people, such as those living with diabetes. Even a specific type of diabetes, such as Type 1 has almost half a million people trying to manage the condition in the UK alone. The whole subject of advocacy leaves me uneasy but when any one advocate is held on a pedestal, I feel even more uneasy about inflated egos, self appointed voices of authority, individuals who might speak for others, speaking for an entire community without engaging with any more than a tiny percentage of their peers. 

A shift in diabetes advocacy would be a great thing. I think many have heard me and others suggesting this and are acting upon it. A shift in how we praise advocates might also need to be reconsidered. While language matters in regards to being respectful, I think it also matters in the avoidance of creating a celebrity culture, a culture which cannot be good for communities of people living with diabetes. Within the #DOC and #GBDoc it only recently came to light that advocacy resulted in the abuse and sexual harassment of women, as "fame" and status was used to coerce and manipulate members of those communities.

What do you think? Are we in danger of creating celebrities from the world of diabetes advocacy and do we need to be more careful about how we praise those in that arena?

Thank you so much for reading this blog. I do appreciate your visit and your support. As you might know, I LOVE COFFEE! So I've teamed up with a thing called Buy Me A Coffee. If you enjoy my content and appreciate the time it takes to create such things then you can buy me a coffee! If you leave your Twitter @ name when you buy me a coffee, I will personally thank you. If you'd rather be anonymous then that's totally cool. Thanks for the caffeine!

BUY DIABETIC DAD A COFFEE HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment