Monday, April 27, 2020

Perspective

I've been considering writing this blog for several days. It's not that I've been hugely busy. Is anybody? The delay has been caused by my mixed feelings and differing perspectives being offered, albeit unwittingly by users on social media and friends & family.

I couldn't think of a better title for the blog. "Perspective" seems about right.

Most of you will know me well enough to know that I have a visual impairment. The cause was my Type 1 Diabetes (surprise). The details of which aren't really important for this blog. If you want to know more about it then YouTube me and you can watch me talk about it in detail. This blog isn't about the VI. It's about the perspective having a VI, the treatments and the recovery gave me.

A lot of you might agree, losing your sight or partially losing your sight is a terrifying prospect. I've read some of your tweets to that extent and I get it. Of course I get it. I had to live with that fear for many months and then subsequently lived with almost complete sight loss for many more months! The feeling of losing independence, being unable to see the faces of loved ones, being unable to see and experience everything good in the world. Being a father with two young children and the prospect of missing their growth and the joy of their experiences. It leaves you in a very dark place... if you'll pardon the pun!

I'm 8 years after my last significant eye surgery, today. The sun has disappeared and it is dull and cold here in middle England. And I love it. I've loved a part of every single day since I was discharged. In fact! since I began to regain some visual clarity.

The experience of eye complications changed my perspective on life. I'm grateful for so much more now.

So, here we are still in lockdown. We're all distancing, some are shielding. There is no end in sight and many are getting a little "cranky". Little things can become huge problems when stress levels are high and it's easy to lose perspective. There's that word again! I don't want to invalidate anyones woes. We're all different and one persons "Meh" is another persons "OMFG!" I do feel that sometimes it's important to take a minute to breathe, though. To not rush to the Internet over every problem which might be amplified in your head by the current pandemic crisis.

I can't tell you how to gain perspective and keep calm and dignified. I do say this, with complete conviction - It will get better. You will get more freedom again, schools will reopen, businesses will reopen, you will see your friends, you'll see your family. You'll be back to "normal" even if "normal" is a bit different than before. The sun will come out tomorrow!... Sorry, I'll stop. It will happen but it will take some time. Be patient. Breathe. You'll be rewarded.

Perhaps you'll be rewarded with a shiny new perspective too.

Thank you so much for reading this blog. I do appreciate your visit and your support. As you might know, I LOVE COFFEE! So I've teamed up with a thing called Buy Me A Coffee. If you enjoy my content and appreciate the time it takes to create such things then you can buy me a coffee! If you leave your Twitter @ name when you buy me a coffee, I will personally thank you. If you'd rather be anonymous then that's totally cool. Thanks for the caffeine!

No comments:

Post a Comment